Police searching for attacker in West Town sex assault

A passerby heard a woman’s screams and chased a man away after he pushed her against a flight of stairs and began taking his clothes off.

SHARE Police searching for attacker in West Town sex assault
Chicago police are searching for a suspect in a sexual assault that occurred Nov. 16 in the 2400 block of West Superior Street.

Chicago police are searching for a suspect in a sexual assault that occurred Nov. 16 in the 2400 block of West Superior Street.

Chicago police

Police are still searching for the attacker in connection with a sexual assault in the West Town neighborhood late last week.

A woman had just walked away from a bus stop around 5 p.m. Thursday when a man followed her and pulled her into a gangway in the 2400 block of West Superior Street, Chicago police said.

The attacker pushed her against a flight of stairs and began taking his clothes off, police said. As he attempted to pull her clothes off, she began to scream for help. A nearby citizen heard her screams and chased him away.

In a community alert, police said they were looking for a “disheveled and dirty” man who was Black, stood between 5-foot-4 and 5-foot-7, and has short black hair. He was wearing a beige fleece sweater with a green “half-front” and beige sleeves, blue jeans and white high-top gym shoes. 

Anyone with information is asked to call Area 3 detectives at 312-744-8261.

The Latest
Teresa Haley apologized Thursday, two days after comments she made surfaced in a video from a recent conference call of NAACP leaders.
The boy suffered a gunshot wound to the ankle in the 4000 block of West Madison Street and was hospitalized in good condition, authorities say.
Caruso has been essential in this team trying to build an identity, and after missing the last two games with a left ankle injury, he returned Thursday. It was short-lived.
Strike-delayed Emmy show is set for Jan. 15, with the Grammys three weeks later
James Soto, 62, and David Ayala, 60, were released Thursday night after a judge vacated their convictions. They were serving life sentences in the 1981 shooting deaths of a Marine and a teen girl in McKinley Park, and were 20 and 18 when they were wrongfully charged.